Chinese expatriate kidnapped by armed men in Ado-Ekiti, released after four days in captivity
The Chinese man simply identified as Wang, was one of the engineers responsible for the dualisation of the new Ado-Iyin road.
He was abducted last Friday evening, November 27, at the scene. His captors also killed a policeman attached to him.
A source close to the road construction company told Vanguard that the abducted person was released around 11 p.m. on Tuesday, December 1, after a ransom of N100 million was paid.
He explained that the ransom was collected in a location in Kwara State and the expatriate was released around the Ilawe-Igede road in Ekiti State.
He said: “The Chinese man was released very late yesterday (Tuesday) after paying the kidnappers a ransom.
“The 100 million naira were taken to a bush in Kwara state where the kidnappers picked them up and confirmed them before the man was released here at a very difficult place along the Igede-Ilawe road.
Ekiti State ASP Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) Sunday Abutu confirmed to Vanguard that the Chinese expatriate had been released but refused to pay a ransom.
He revealed that the release was made possible after a serious manhunt launched against the kidnappers by security officers.